Monday, March 5, 2012

"A New Brain" Gallery Players

The Gallery Players located in Columbus Ohio, is currently in their run of a quirky and dramatic musical called A New Brain

A New Brain is "An autobiographical Musical. Music & lyrics by William Finn: Jason Robert Brown (arr.) Book by William Finn and James Lapine A New Brain dealt directly with his own harrowing personal experience with arteriovenous malformation and the healing power of art. The hero, Gordon, worries that he may not live to complete his work. Finn wrote many of the songs soon after his release from the hospital".

I count myself lucky when I attend a Gallery Players Production. because the bar is always set high, the space alone is enough to take your breath away. This time a simple set was erected, plain white walls all at different angles allowing the audience to create their own perspective and of course with a cast of characters that include a singing, dancing, snarky frog it can be noted that your mind can go wild! and to each of the available wings we are thrust into a "workspace" for our hero Gordon, and then a "quaint italian bistro". The thing I will mention again that I love about this set is it's crisp white simplicity. Though this show included minimal lighting and use of space it worked for me. The overall Buzz about the show from the audience was a simple "I loved it" but a few critiques were shared along with myself, one of which was the tight feeling that can be attributed to the use of center stage direction. I feel like the movement of the show with a minimalist perspective created in the space can be broader then it was. But on another note the creation of an M.R.I. machine on stage with a camera inside was Brilliant! although I scoff at the use of projectors in stage shows for Prologues, Epilogues and Scene Changes.

But I digress, for we all know dear readers why you are here! The Performance....The Actors....The Singing....The Music! Truly there are far too many amazing moments to count in this production, and since there is no what you would call "Chorus" I want to take a moment and Dote if I may on the Cast as a whole and then of course share my thoughts on the individuals. I ran into a woman after the show and I will admit "I eavesdrop" it's a bad habit but one a critic cannot avoid. She said the one thing, I fervently believe is true "Gallery Players Actors are The Best Singers in Columbus"I could not agree more. The vocals were powerful and moving. Though there were moments of concern for me when the pit would drown out the Actors and when the annunciation was lacking, but when the Musical is Performed in a single Act, with little or no dialogue and made up of Thirty-Two individual numbers.....Yes you can call me Nit-Picky.

And Now The Moment You have all Been Waiting for.....The Actors!
and What a fantastic group! (time to dote)

Pamela Hill: Director of this outstanding production! all I can say here is "Directing takes heart, Risk, Patience and a few Pain killers (or booze, Your Choice)" and Whatever combination of this Pamela chose It worked.

Jeb Bigelow: Our Hero Gordon Schwinn, has a voice and face that powers it's way into our psyche. Jeb had some wonderful moments all of which took place in bed. the complexity of Gordon boils down to our ability to follow him in and out of his dreams or one might say delusions. If you are a follower of any point of theater you must and I emphasize MUST see Jeb's Performance.

Christopher Storer: Our Roger, who emphatically breaks our hearts and melts us with a smile. I have a rule to remain un-biased of a performer I refuse to cry, and it is nearly impossible to get me there. until this production. Christopher has one moment where he broke me and as I do not want to give away anything about the story all I will say is watch his Jacket. and the way he holds....no Wraps his entire being into it. A beautiful love story from a coat. This is what makes Storer one of the best actors I have ever known.

Denae Rall: Has a voice that can collapse the great wall of China! and the speed and diction that I never could have dreamed possible. but above all else Denae is "Believable" her affection towards her job and her friend Gordon mesh so well. and the Ventriloquist moment is unforgettable.

Eileen M. Howard: Gordons Mother Mimi Schwinn, is your beautiful conception of a Mother, when her child is suffering from a Terminal Illness, she remains composed and prepared "mother is going to make it alright" she is that pillar holding up the stronghold of her child's ailment. that is of course until we peel her away from her son and see the emotional break as she cleans his study. Eileen is much the Powerhouse singer, but she reserves her volume and replaces it with pain and hope. and when she is done....not a voice can be heard with the exception of a subtle "wow" from the women to my left.

Jenna Lee: Lisa (the homeless therapist) Jenna's bio intrigued me as a "soon to be graduate of O.S.U." I can only see big things in her future. It is hard to play someone who in un-respected (like a homeless woman) and demand respect, it takes even more courage to break the fourth wall, and command an audience take her seriously and ask for change. not just the change in your pocket...Jenna you commanded my attention and you still have it. wonderful performance.

Wilma Hatton: Reba "the nice nurse" is the best example of comic relief, for a dramatic-comedy to work you have to have that one person who has the ability to keep us laughing and keep the moments "real". Good Drama takes us out of our everyday lives. but Great Drama reminds us of our own lives. and Wilma does that for us and this production.

Stewart Bender: Mr. Bungee (Yes he is the Frog from TV) I have a weakness for dry humour and sarcasm and dare I say Snarky-ness....and I can say without a doubt. that Stewart nailed it. and of course it can be said when a tall man rides on stage with a green bike covered in lilly-pads dressed as a frog head to toe and doesn't break during a performance....he is a genius (or has no funny bone, but I will stick with genius). When we get a reveal of his alter ego (the boss) it felt like he was one in the same. and how often have you wondered if Big Bird was a jerk in real life? well Stewart's take on Mr. Bungee lets us know just how dark the other side of Kids programming really is.

Doug Joseph: The Minister I have a soft spot for Doug, but don't take admiration as an excuse for what I am about to say. Doug has mastered comedic timing. and is an energy on stage that brings forth light to those around him. there were a few subtle moments and jokes the minister has that were missed and I wish to share one of them so you fellow readers can go see Doug's performance and laugh yourself stupid. When asking Gordon if he was "German-Protestant" Gordon Replies "No...German-Jewish" and if you didn't laugh at that you are brian-dead....ok off my high horse now. with all of this said and done Doug is a wonderful addition to this production and vocally smooth.

Amy Rittberger: The waitress, and Nancy The thin Nurse! I was very happy with Amy and her performance, and her vocals and dancing were solid. But I felt that the action was held back from Amy a bit. When we first meet here she is a loud bubbly fan-girl of a waitress and I loved it! and then we meet Nancy "The Thin Nurse" (the counter opposite of the waitress) a line that can make a smaller part unforgettable and of course it did. but I felt that it plateaued there, I believe Amy is on the right track and can play with the parts just a bit more!

Jon Schelb: Doctor Berensteiner, a difficult role to say the least. with words and conditions to explian to Gordon and his family that are five miles long! I enjoyed Jon's performance and his attachment to his own "children" in the show. but there were moments when his head was hung low and vocals were a bit to soft and drowned out by the orchestra. push that chin up and give us the confidence of a brain surgeon Jon and you will have them in the palm of your hand.

The last thing I wish to share is a massive round of applause for the Crew, Choreographer, Costumer, and everyone involved in this production. for as we say in the Theater. "a show is not made of just actors, it is made up of every breathing person involved" and without this fantastic crew keeping the flow and look alive. this show would not be the force it is.

As always Gallery Players throws you a curveball of a show. I Guarantee you will laugh, you will cry and you will walk away astounded.

Gallery Players Presents "A New Brain"
Showtimes for A New Brain, are Saturdays, March 3,10,and 17 at 8 p.m.; Sundays, March 4,11, and 18 at 2:30 p.m., and Thursday, March 8 and 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Call (614) 231-2731 for tickets or visit 
http://columbusjcc.org/programs/cultural-arts/gallery-players/


No comments:

Post a Comment