Sunday, March 11, 2012

Arsenic and Old Lace, Worthington Community Theater

"Arsenic and Old Lace" at the Worthington Community Theater is a wonderful and entertaining experience. This classic farce is a play by American playwright Joseph Kesselring, written in 1939. It has become best known through the film adaptation starring Cary Grant and directed by Frank Capra.


The play is a farcical black comedy revolving around Mortimer Brewster, a drama critic (Joe Cherubino) who must deal with his crazy, homicidal family and local police in Brooklyn, NY, as he debates whether to go through with his recent promise to marry the woman he loves, Elaine Harper (Krista Wagner). His family includes two spinster aunts (Lorri Latek and Amy E. Hall) who have taken to murdering lonely old men by poisoning them with a glass of home-made elderberry wine laced with arsenic,strychnine, and "just a pinch" of cyanide; a brother who believes he is Teddy Roosevelt (Rob Tromp)  and digs locks for the Panama Canal in the cellar of the Brewster home (which then serve as graves for the aunts' victims); and a murderous brother Jonathan Brewster (Carl Novak) who has received plastic surgery performed by an alcoholic accomplice, Dr. Einstein (Jeff Brown) to conceal his identity and now looks like horror-film actor Boris Karloff. Of course what sets in over a night and the following morning is a dark humour filled night. 

On a technical note, the space itself though on the smaller side is a wonderful addition to my continual journey of the Central Ohio Community Theater Area (I look forward to more shows there). Though I was a bit confused at the use of doors for every area except for the kitchen and I caught my eyes generally moving to the "empty" space during times of lows.

I should preface this next section of this entry simply because I adore this show. Having been in it myself and having experienced it so many times, that I may be a bit picky. But dear readers keep in mind I loved this production for all of it's quirky and fun moments. 

The Cast as a whole each bring their own unique flair and performance to this piece. I would like to highlight my favorite actors and memorable performances for you, Keep in mind not everyone is highlighted in this review but every actor and actress has a new life being breathed into every word of the show. 


Abby Brewster: Lorri Latek, is the essential Abby firm and in Charge she is the less quirky of the two sisters, but the dialogue and pacing requires that of the Character. Lorri has a cool demeanor that allows her "Abby" to work her way into our hearts. and Lorri has a firm grasp on the dialogue and meaning in the words Abby lives. Her connection with Martha allows us to join in the moment of them being sisters for life. by each others sides. 

Martha Brewster: Amy E. Hall, is the polar opposite of her "Sister" Abby, she is a bit like a pendulum constantly in motion almost as if the world around her will cease to move if she equally stops. I loved that about her performance, because the script itself is quite funny, but without "little bits of action" it does allow itself to become a bit long. I would say though I loved Amy and Lorri's performance and relationship, They are playing Older women who have grayed over years they do come of as a "Bit to Spry" add a catch in the back or aching joints and you have yourself an unforgettable performance.  

Teddy Brewster: Rob Tromp, this is one of my all time favorite roles. Teddy is the essential loud/brash/look at me childlike member of this already "interesting" household and Rob's performance allows us a rare glimpse into Mr. Roosevelt's demeanor.  though Rob's choices are subtle, they are there. I loved his use of the stool as a horse galloping across the plains of the old west. His belief in "Who he is" is vital to the development of the story we must see Teddy and believe he is Mr. Roosevelt, or else the piece fails. I did however find one moment where I lost my belief in Teddy, when he is "scolded" moving to a corner like a child. Yes Teddy has a "Child-like" presence, but is not a child he is however "The President".

Elaine Harper: Krista Wagner the future wife of Mortimer Brewster, and a role that can come of as un-important and needy. Generally Elaine is played slightly mousey with a hint of "Church Girl" but Krista's choices allow us a glimpse of the "in charge" Elaine. I was surprised at myself a few times, at saying my, my Ms. Harper if your father The Reverend only knew. it was a bold move and one I am glad she made, keep your eyes peeled for Krista's moments and Mortimer's inability to notice a strong female presence. 

Mortimer Brewster: Joe Cherubino what is there to be said about Mortimer? Other than he like myself is a Critic and feels the way I do about certain shows. but Mortimer is one of the hardest roles in this production, he is the essential "Straight man" though his dialogue gets a bit over the top at moments he must remain calm and push the action forward. Joe does a good job at keeping the flow moving, though I would advise his "breaking moments" to be a bit more human. he has great facial features but I would use them a bit more sparingly. as I mentioned before he has to play dumb (not an insult, just how it has to be) to Elaine's advances and Joe nails that on the head! 

Jonathan Brewster: Carl Novak the role of a Villain is tricky, you have to be human and in-human at the same time. Carl does a wonderful Karloff-esque voice, but much the same as Mortimer facial expression can be the straw on the preverbal camels back. I am all for showing evil in makeup choice but I would advise against eyeliner for scarring lines especially if you are prone to touching your face a few times there were multiple smudges. Carl does do the one thing that is a necessity to the role.....he makes our skin crawl. 

Dr. Einstein: Jeff Brown, is the Gag character has the quirky kicks and the heavy accent.  though with accents you must be careful of diction! more than one time I caught myself curious of what was said. but overall I loved his take. 

Dead Body: Alec Koppes, it must be said when playing a "live" Dead person it takes skill to be limp and sit in a hot window seat for um-teen minutes at a time. Alec great job. 

The Rest: I would love to write an individual note for all of you but there are so many of you. you all did a fantastic job, and will succeed in theater as the years roll around for you. but I would advise you....to consider those in the cast you are complementing, over-acting can be a crutch and can cause a show to fail. I am all about personal choices in the spotlight, but remember why you are there and Laughter is addictive but....playing a role to it's strengths will earn you more recognition. Officer O'Hara I like the mustache joke....but a little less use of it and you will mesh with the show just perfectly. 


"Aresenic and Old Lace" at the Worthington Community Theater
Performances:
March 8 - 11th 8 p.m. T, F, S - 2 p.m. Sun
Tickets - $10 students/ seniors $12 adults
at the Peggy R. McConnell Arts Center - 777 Evening St. Worthington, Ohio 43085.
Don't forget to check out the wonderful Art Gallery as well. 






No comments:

Post a Comment