Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy 9/11 and other completely non offensive tales

Mad Lab Theater in downtown Columbus is a magnificent escape from your "Traditional Theater experience" and I was happily invited to this wonderful production. When first reading the title of this show, I thought.....I will probably be offended in some non-sensical patriotic way..... but in fact the writing style of Christopher Lockheardt allows us a wonderful glimpse into contemporary lifestyles and actions. in short the show can be described in the question "What is life?" Christopher "provides glimpses at the answer to that question in this collection of 7 of his short plays featuring everything from first kisses to beginnings and ends, breakfasts and card games, and a new way to celebrate". with the feel of an indie comedy/drama Happy 9/11 did not disappoint. Dear readers I always hate talking about an amazing show after it's production wraps because I feel like it is a "look at what I get to do and you don't moment"..... but I am allowing myself to be selfish here because this show may have topped of my season and it has a strong lead ahead of the pack!
The production as a whole is a simple understatement. and yes I do mean that in a non-sarcastic positive way, I love elaborate sets.....but when a show paints itself to be close to real-life. minimalism is the only path you can take! simple grey panels add depth and light pieces of furniture, a table here, chair there, even the use of a queen sized bed was masterfully placed. I applaud the set design team for their choices! Along the lines of set, music and transitions are quite important! Make or Break the show important! and the musical choices all suited the scenes and feel.

The Cast all did a wonderful job....and it is rare that I say that generally I can equate some annoyance to over acting or under acting, or even lack of believability. But...alas it felt as though this cast was hand picked from their own lives to give us a glimmer into the depth of their own reality. and it was moving and heart-felt. this show had a hand-full of individual "mini-scenes" in it and the list of accolades would be a mile long if I gave everyone an individual note so I wish to focus on those who's performances were and are still burning in my mind, but before I do that I want to say yet again a magnificent "WOW"! to all of you, thank you for bringing real life to the Columbus stage again!

Breakfast with Warhol: Michelle Batt and Michael Moore, this sinfully silent and dare I say....sexy and kinky play that ran throughout the entire show was one of my favorite highlights. Though I will say when the "fourth wall" is broken in a show within the first 35 seconds I tend to be wary....but I instantly fell for this witty and groggy couple who allowed us a glimpse into.....what I pray is a "rare morning" in the Warhol residence! the show started and ended on a wonderful note and I believe a lot of that is due to Michelle and Michael.

Your Kiss is on my list: Lauren Yobbagy and Sean Reid, this short scene is truly a live version of the quirky Indie romantic comedies I look forward to seeing in the movie theaters, simply starting with "you can kiss me.....if you want" to a complete stranger! and just the intensity of how things are built up between Lauren and Sean I caught myself even saying "is it getting hot in here"? but of course the writing again is simply brilliant. and the idea of remembering and never forgetting the kisses and intimate moments in your life no how many there are, is and should be important! fantastic!

Not Funny: Laura Spires and Joel Dickerson.....the only thing I can say here is the pun was worth the steak knife to the stomach! and Joel's comedic timing and dead pan rivals that of actors like Michael Cera! Laura wow....I would never make light of you after that performance, but what I loved about it was you chose to play her cute....bashful.....shy and deadly! beautiful choice.

Lie To Me: Melissa Bair and Stephen Woosley, this was my favorite piece of the evening. man and woman are presented to us in the aftermath of love making....discussing the intricacies of their affair. and of course as is the standard of stereotypes, the Woman is needy and the Man is quiet and leaving with no hint of affection.....but the tables are turned and we learn the Man is deeply in love, and Woman is using the situation for a carnal need. The balance of fear, loathing, love, sex and anger is so intricate that even just a little too off in one direction....the piece would have failed, but I still have chills just writing about the moment itself!

Last but not Least.......Happy 9/11: Ryan Fannon, Megan Corbin, Becky Horseman is sarcastic, cynical, funny and sad all at the same time, Satire in a live show is hard to accomplish it requires you to be like-able.....laughable....and hated all at the same time. and it is the hardest of comedies in my opinion and I was skeptical unti the moment when we are sung Happy Birthday.....or in this case Happy Tower Day......but the overall promise of the piece is taking your life from tragedy to comedy and these three more than successfully make this a reality!



Mad Lab Theater is a must visit this season, for after this night of Laughter, Tears and Inner Soul Exploration.....it would be a tragedy not to continue to visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment